February 05, 2011

Going back home...

Here I am, sitting at Johannesburg airport thinking about all the things that this country has taught me in the past 10 days. Many things have been learned and some epiphanies have arisen. When you get into the wild of a new culture you don't know what to expect. Because I really don't want to get my hopes up, I just don't expect much, I try to discover my opinions as my experience develops.

From the safari at the Kruger Park to the interesting journey to Johannesburg and its history, the balance of the trip is very positive. So much has gone down in this country in the past century, and the most important events happened from 20 to 30 years ago. I already knew what the apartheid was about but immersing in the country's history and culture I really got to understand the evolution of its development and its fall. This country has fought so many battles that, after decades, resulted in the victory of justice, freedom and equality.

To have had the opportunity to see it first hand is a privilege for which I'm thankful. I'll post some pictures as soon as I  get back home. See you soon South Africa! Cheers


Here's Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba, a legendary and muscial landmark from the  South African singer and activist 

No comments:

Post a Comment