January 13, 2011

Bookstores in NYC

I just went to two bookstores while visiting NYC and both, in their own way, were really special (both highly recommended).

We attended the Launch Party for the book "Three Boys from Pasadena: A Tribute to Helmut Newton" at Clic Gallery and Bookstore in Centre Street (www.clicgallery.com). We stayed there for about two hours drinking wine and going through amazing coffee table books with perfect photographs. 


Taking a stroll around the West Village, we came across a really small bookstore just two blocks from my friend's place. Left Bank Books (17, 8th Avenue) has modern first editions and quality second hand books at very competitive prices. I bought an early edition of "Other voices, Other rooms" by Truman Capote (which I haven't started reading yet) and my friend bought a really great edition of Tom Wolfe's "The Painted Word". The owner is very passionate about books and quite friendly (plus he looks, moves and talks like John Malkovich) . They also have readings from time to time.



ps: I don't remember how it came up in the conversation but the owner told us that Patti Smith is a loyal customer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment